The South East England General Histopathology EQA Scheme is a consensus based External Quality Assessment scheme approved by the Royal College of Pathologists based on the guidance “Principles and Guidance for Interpretive External Quality Assessment Schemes in Laboratory Medicine” RCPath 2017 (G153), and accredited to ISO17043:2010. The Scheme performs External Quality Assessment for Consultant Histopathologists in General Histopathological practice and also has an educational element. Three times each year, ten cases are circulated that are representative of a routine workload together with two slightly more difficult / unusual cases of educational value which are not scored.
Participation in the South East England General Histopathology EQA Scheme is open to any consultant pathologist or Associate Specialist within Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex or South London, but consideration will be given to applicants outside the area on a case by case basis, including overseas. Long-term locum pathologists are also able to participate, subject to the payment of the current subscription rate.
If you are interested in joining the scheme, which is hosted by Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust, please contact the EQA office on the email below.
Click here for the published scope of accreditation
EQA Scheme Management Office
Telephone: 01622 225738
Scheme Organiser: Professor John Schofield, MB BS FRCPath
Scheme Manager: Mrs Gill Donald
Scheme Administrator: Miss Amanda Cowie
Scheme Quality Manager: Mrs Helen Dasley
How does the scheme work?
There are three circulations each year beginning January, May and September. Laboratories are arranged into groups with an order of circulation within each group.
Ten cases are circulated representative of a typical diagnostic workload. These cases are contributed from participants working in CPA accredited laboratories. From time to time, cases representing a specific area of diagnosis or grading or measuring or staging etc from an area of Histopathology routinely encountered in a General Histopathologist’s workload may be included. Two cases are also circulated that are more unusual and are for educational purposes only. These cases are clearly identified and are not used for personal analysis.
Current Round: Slide images, circulation lists and response forms
Earn 2 CPD points for answering the general cases
Earn 1 CPD point for answering both educational cases
Earn 1 CPD point for completion of the case consultation
The most recent round:
Round j – due to commence on Wednesday 2nd January 2019.
Previous Rounds - including links to digital slides
- Round i Final Case Analysis Round i (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round h Final case analysis Round h (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round g Final case analysis Round g (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round f Final case analysis Round f (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round e Final case analysis Round e (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round d Final case analysis Round d (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round c Final case analysis Round c (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round b Final case analysis Round b (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round a Final case analysis Round a (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round ZZ Final case analysis Round ZZ (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round YY Final case analysis form YY v2 (links to slides within case analysis document)
- Round XX Digital slide images XX Final case analysis Round XX
- Round WW Digital slide images WW Final case analysis Round WW
- Round VV Digital slide images VV Final case analysis Round VV
- Round UU Digital slide images UU Final case analysis Round UU
Earn more CPD points - Case Submission
Earn more CPD points by sending us a new case – 1 for each sent – 12 duplicate slides per case please.
Download the Case Submission Form and guidelines
Scheme Advisory Panel
The scheme advisory panel consists of representatives for each region. They meet to discuss scheme issues. Please contact them with any suggestions for improvement to the scheme or other issues.
Surrey Dr L Fulford – East Surrey Hospital – Laura.firstname.lastname@example.org
Sussex Dr I Hawley – The Conquest Hospital – Ian.email@example.com
Kent Dr N Bagla – William Harvey Hospital – Nipin.firstname.lastname@example.org
London Dr M Moonim – St Thomas’ Hospital – Mufaddal.email@example.com
Essex Dr M Sundaresan – Southend University Hospital – Maryse.firstname.lastname@example.org
We endevour to run this scheme to your complete satisfaction. If you have a concern, please contact the EQA scheme office mtw-tr.EQA@nhs.net in the first instance. If this does not resolve your issues and you wish to make a formal complaint, this will handled in compliance with the MTW Trust complaints policy and procedure. Click here for the Complaint Flowchart
Thank you to all those who have taken the time to respond to our surveys.
Participant survey – Case Submission – September 2018
Participant survey – Digital image survey – March 2018
Participant survey – General survey – November 2017
Participant survey – complaints and appeals – July 2017
Participant survey – new case submission – March 2017
Participant survey – website & digital slides – November 2016
Participant survey – results suspected collusion – July 2016
Participant survey – results on AGM attendance – March 2016
Participant Survey – results on use of digital slides – July 2015