Pathology tests should be requested electronically. This is to ensure that the correct patient information and requested tests are recorded and results are returned to the requester accurately and in a timely manner.
- Haematology, Biochemistry, Transfusion, Immunology, Microbiology and Diagnostic Cytology requests should be made via ICE (for GP and community users) or Allscripts PAS (for hospital users).
- Cytology LBC requests should be made using the Open Exeter HMR101/5 form accessible from the Open Exeter website https://nww.openexeter.nhs.uk/nhsia/index.jsp
For queries regarding sample containers, collection procedures or test availability please refer to our test catalogue.
Please note that pathology will not process samples where the patient and the requestor are the same individual or are suspected of being in a close personal relationship (family/friends). All NHS staff should be registered with a general practitioner outside their own family. Please see policy on Self Requesting and Result delivery directly to patients.
If electronic systems are unavailable, please download and complete the appropriate manual request form below.
ICE (electronic ordering for GP practice system)
ICE is a secure electronic ordering system that allows orders for tests to be placed directly in the GP practice system and transmitted to the laboratory system electronically.
- Track progress of specimen from request to report
- Elimination of transcription errors
- GP can look up results of tests conducted in hospital (ward, outpatients or A&E) – reducing need for rebleeding patients
- Ecofriendly – Reduction in paper use and confidential waste
New Surgery or New Practice System: If you are a surgery wishing to register for access to ICE, or if you are already registered but your practice system is changing, please comlete the appropriate form below and send to pathology IT manager firstname.lastname@example.org
New user for existing system – contact Pathology IT manager by email email@example.com with details of
- national prescibing number (GMP number) (for salaried GPs)
Manual Request Forms
Please order tests electronically via ICE (GP and community) or PAS (hospital users), or (for LBC) via Open Exeter.
In the event that these systems are unavailable, please download the following request forms to complete manually. Please note the mandatory fields must be completed in order for us to process the samples.
Haematology, Biochemistry, Immunology
- Cytology Screening Programme: Verbal requests for cervical screening samples are not applicable.
- Diagnostic Cytology: No Verbal requests for diagnostic specimen preparation are accepted without an appropriate request form. If a verbal telephone request is received from a clinician to share a specimen which has already been sent to another department within pathology, a request form for diagnostic cytology must be provided before the specimen can be processed. If no form is received within a week, the specimen will be discarded.
- Verbal requests are not accepted.
- Frozen sections should be pre-booked with the department but the sample should be sent with a written request form on the day.
- Request for additional testing of material already held (for example genetics testing) should be made in writing and submitted to the reporting pathologist so that suitable arrangements can be made for testing.