At Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust we are proud to have a large team of volunteers who give up their spare time to enhance our patients’ experience. Our Trust is the heart of our local communities and our volunteers are passionate about ensuring patients and visitors have the blest possible experience whilst attending our hospitals.
We are always on the look out for new volunteers. If you are interested in becoming one of our valued volunteers, please register with NHS Jobs and you will be notified when voluntary roles become available. We are looking for a commitment of at least three hours per week for six months.
Our volunteers work within the following areas:
- Patient support volunteer: talk to patients, encourage activities and measure patient experience on the ward, support the nursing staff at meal times, support patients with Dementia
- Outpatient volunteer: help patients use the check-in kiosk and support patients and visitors in our outpatient clinics
- Meet & Greet: provide assistance and information to visitors and patients arriving at the site. A friendly face upon arriving at the Trust, helps put visitors at ease, and already enhances the patient’s experience
- Macmillan services: support patients through their cancer programme
- Cardiac Rehabilitation support
- Chaplaincy Volunteers: committed to delivering a high standard of spiritual and religious care to patients, visitors and staff in our hospitals
- Hospital Radio Volunteers: collecting requests from patients, personal dedication over the hospital radio station
- Clerical Support Volunteers: working with in the office environments to support staff with their day to day roles
- Patients Survey Volunteers: Friends and Family & patient satisfaction surveys are a great way for patients to voice their thought about their treatment with us. The results of the survey really make a difference to the changes we make to improve patients’ experience, as a volunteer you would be the person to collect the data from the patients, it is also a great way to talk to patients and find that patients feel at ease talking to our volunteers.
- Green Team volunteer: MTW welcomes volunteers interested in supporting the Trust’s gardening team in our internal gardens
Volunteering is a great way to give back to your local community, enhances your CV, can support applications to medical courses, and is a great way to make new friends. Please note that volunteering is an unpaid role and should not be seen as a stepping stone into a substantive role. All volunteers are expected to complete a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check.
We are looking for volunteers who can offer a minimum of six months’ commitment. Volunteers offering support in a ward environment need to be aged 18 or above to be eligible to apply for the role.
Contact the Trust’s voluntary services co-ordinator, Anne-Marie Stevens, on telephone 01622 224719 if you would like to get involved.
Alternatively, you could support Maidstone Hospital League of Friends, who need volunteers for their shop, ward trolley rounds and fundraising events, or get involved with Tunbridge Wells Hospital League of Friends.