What can we offer?
The Library offers the following mediated training courses, to book a place or find out more information, contact us on email@example.com.
Our training sessions can be tailored to meet your information needs, and can be delivered either in small groups or on a 1:1 basis. All of our training sessions are available in face-to-face or virtual (MS Teams) formats.
Study Skills and Support
- Library induction for new starters (30mins)
- Study skills (1 hour)
- Keeping Up to Date (1 hour)
- Referencing (30mins)
Literature Skills Training
- Searching for Beginners (1 hour)
- Advanced Evidence Searching: (2 hours)
- Reference Management Systems: (Mendeley or Zotero) (1 hour)
Critical Appraisal Training
- Introduction to critical appraisal (1 hour)
- Critical appraisal: quantitative research (2 hours)
- Critical appraisal: qualitative research (2 hours)
- An Introduction to Health Literacy (1.5 hours)
Ask A Librarian drop-in sessions
These run every Friday – you can join us via MS Teams any time from 2pm-3.30pm. Click here during the session to join
Databases for Evidence Searches - How to search them
The following short videos are available to support you with finding information and evidence in core international healthcare databases:
Ovid: OVID allows you to search the following databases: AMED (Allied and Complementary Medicine), Embase, Emcare and others.
- Basic Searching on the Ovid Platform (52min 4s)
- Advanced Searching on the Ovid Platform (1hr 3min 2s)
- AMED on Ovid (6min 5s)
- Introduction to Embase (25 min 4s
- Introduction to Medline (18min 11s)
- Introduction to Emcare (6min 53s)
- Introduction to HMIC (10min 35s)
- Getting HDAS searches into Ovid (5min 30s)
ProQuest: ProQuest will allow you to search the following databases: APA PsycArticles, APA PsychInfo, British Nursing Index and others.
eLearning for Healthcare
A range of elearning modules are provided by eLearning for Healthcare to support literature searching activities; you can use your NHS OpenAthens account to register for eLfH if you do not already have an account: