A number of databases are available to support evidence-based decision making, research, CPD and educational requirements. An NHS OpenAthens account will be required to access these core resources; some resources shown here will only be available to Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust employees.
Other resources include image banks, clinical question answering systems, skills and procedures databases.
These eight core databases all enable users to search for journal citations by topic, keyword, author or title across thousands of internationally published journals.
- AMED – 1985 to present. Allied health professions, complementary medicine.
- BNI – 1992 to present. Nursing, midwifery, health visitors.
- CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature) – 1981 to present. Nursing, allied health professions.
- EMBASE (Excerpta Medica Database) – 1974 to present. Drugs and pharmacology, other aspects of human medicine.
- Health Business Elite – 1922 to present. Healthcare administration, institution management.
- HMIC (Health Management Information Consortium) – 1979 to present. Records from King’s Fund and Department of Health.
- Medline – 1946 to present. General medical database.
- PsychInfo – 1806 to present. Psychology and allied fields
- Cochrane Library of Systematic Reviews – The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) is the leading resource for systematic reviews in health care. The CDSR includes Cochrane Reviews (the systematic reviews) and protocols for Cochrane Reviews as well as editorials.
- TRIP – A clinical search engine designed to allow users to quickly and easily find and use high-quality research evidence to support their practice and/or care.
- PEDro – Physiotherapy Evidence Database of over 32,000 randomised trials, systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines in physiotherapy.
- BestBETs – rapid evidence-based answers to real-life clinical questions, using a systematic approach to reviewing the literature.
Literature Search requests:
Up-to-Date – 28,000 pictures, tables, illustrations, diagrams, graphs, algorithms and videos. Access onsite via direct link for Maidstone and Tunbridge NHS Trust employees or by setting up an Up-To-Date account for off-site access and access to the app (pre-registration via the direct link above is required before the app and off-site access can be used)
Clinical Key – 2,200,000 images from trusted books and journals. All content is searchable. NHS OpenAthens username will be required. Clinical Key app now available- download to your smartphone and access with an NHS OpenAthens account.
Anatomy TV – Primal Pictures 3D anatomy model, built using real scan data from the visible human project, has been carefully segmented to create an unparalleled level of detail and accuracy. All of the content within this program has been verified by qualified anatomists and by a team of external experts for each body area. NHS OpenAthens username will be required.
DermIS – A large visual atlas of dermatology images to aid diagnosis and differential diagnosis.
Decision Support and Skills Training
Up to Date – A very highly regarded clinical decision support system, comprising of topic reviews that are updated continually, bringing together best practice and latest research. Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust employees can access via direct link when working onsite, or by setting up an Up-To-Date account for off-site access and access to the app (pre-registration via the direct link above is required before the app and off-site access can be used).
Clinical Skills.net – Supports the delivery of evidence-based care. Produced in the UK and based on NHS practice:Regularly updated; Fully illustrated with clear step-by-step guidance; Packed with links to key guidance. Access onsite via direct link for Maidstone and Tunbridge NHS Trust employees on the Library Resources intranet page or NHS OpenAthens username will be required for off-site access.
Clinical Key – In addition to its 600+ journals and 1000+ books, Clinical Key contains some 17,000+ medical and surgical videos, 300+ procedure videos and articles. All content is searchable. NHS OpenAthens username will be required. Clinical Key app now available- download to your smartphone and access with an NHS OpenAthens account.
Resources by Specialty
These bulletins set out core journals, databases and e-books for the specialties shown. We add new titles on an ongoing basis; please contact a member of the team to enquire about resources for your specialty.
- Accident and Emergency Bulletin
- Anaesthetics Bulletin
- Cardiology Bulletin
- Clinical Governance Bulletin
- Clinical Support Workers Bulletin
- Dentistry Bulletin
- Dermatology Bulletin
- ENT Bulletin
- Elderly Care Bulletin
- Endocrinology Bulletin
- Finding Health Information Bulletin (for Patients and Public)
- Gastroenterology Bulletin
- Haematology Bulletin
- Infection Control Bulletin
- Intensive and Critical Care Bulletin
- Leadership Bulletin
- Medical Humanities Bulletin
- Medical Imaging Bulletin
- Medical Students Bulletin
- Medicine Bulletin
- Mentorship Bulletin
- Microbiology and Antimicrobial Stewardship Bulletin
- Midwifery Bulletin
- Neonatology Bulletin
- Neurology Bulletin
- Nursing Bulletin
- Nutrition and Dietetics Bulletin
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology Bulletin
- Occupational Therapy Bulletin
- Oncology Bulletin
- Ophthalmology Bulletin
- Orthopaedics Bulletin
- Pain Management Bulletin
- Paediatrics Bulletin
- Palliative Care Bulletin
- Pathology Bulletin
- Pharmacy Bulletin
- Physiotherapy Bulletin
- Primary Care Bulletin
- Psychiatry and Mental Health Bulletin
- Resources for Researchers Bulletin
- Respiratory Care Bulletin
- Rheumatology Bulletin
- Surgery Bulletin
- Urology and Renal Bulletin
- Useful Library Resources Bulletin