The respiratory physiology departments are located within the outpatient clinics at Tunbridge Wells Hospital and within Cardio-Respiratory at Maidstone. We offer a range of diagnostic tests to assist the doctors and nurses in diagnosing, treating and monitoring a range of respiratory conditions.
We have a dedicated team of respiratory physiologists who support the work of the consultants across the trust including referrals from many specialities. Patient’s can expect to receive high quality tests performed in a supportive professional environment.
Respiratory physiology also supports student physiologists during their training, through offering work placements. A student may perform tests with patients as part of their training, but there will always be support form a senior member of staff.
The department is open Monday to Friday. Some tests are only bookable on set days. The diagnostic tests that the trust currently offers can be spilt into three groups, basic tests, field exercise tests and special tests. The tests that we currently offer are:
- Dynamic Lung Volumes (spirometry)
- Gas transfer (single breath TLco)
- Static Lung Volumes (Body plethysmography and Helium Dilution)
- Trials before and after inhalers
- Pulse Oximetry
Field exercise tests
- Six minute walk tests
- Incremental shuttle walk
- Respiratory Muscle strength testing (sitting, Supine, Maximal inspiratory and Expiratory Pressures and sniff nasal inspiratory pressures)
- Bronchial Challenge Testing (mannitol)
- Hypoxic challenge testing (referrals can be taken through the Wells suit from GP’s)
- Skin prick tests to common allergens
- Exhaled Nitric Oxide testing
- Exercise induced Asthma tests
- Overnight Oximetry
- Blood gas measurement (capillary)
For more information about the services that we offer and the tests we provide please contact us on 01622 224521 or 01892 634684.
Patient information leaflets
Popular patient information leaflets for respiratory physiology: