We specialise in providing Anaesthesia, management of acute and chronic pain, Intensive Care, Obstetric Anaesthesia and Analgesia, Pre-Operative Assessment, Cardiopulmonary exercise testing and risk assessment, and resuscitation and teaching
We provide anaesthetic services for a wide range of surgical specialties at both Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells hospitals. Anaesthetists are responsible for anaesthesia in operating theatres and the general care of patients and pain relief before, during and after operations. They are also responsible for managing the intensive care department and its patients.
The service is also closely involved in all aspects of resuscitation of very ill and severely injured patients. In addition, the department provides cover 24 hours a day for intensive therapy and pain relief during labour for the maternity unit.
Our Anaesthetic Department consists of 32 Consultants, 16 Speciality Anaesthetists, and 21 Anaesthetic Trainee Doctors.
The roles of the Anaesthetist are:
- To discuss your anaesthetic with you
- Discuss the risks & benefits the types of anaesthesia available
- Provide you with an anaesthetic plan including pain relief & postoperative care
- We are responsible for your care & safety throughout your anaesthetic & surgery
- Provide appropriate post-operative care including Intensive Care
For patient information and frequently asked questions about anaesthesia and how to prepare for your procedure, visit The Royal College of Anaesthetists website.
We also run simulation training for staff.