Recite me link

What vitamins do I need to take in pregnancy?

Women are advised to take folic acid early on in pregnancy, usually up to 12 weeks. Vitamin D is also recommended to pregnant women and can be found in most of the combined pregnancy vitamin tablets. You may also need to take iron tablets during your pregnancy, but you will have blood tests to confirm this during your pregnancy.

What position shall I sleep in?

It can be difficult to get comfortable in pregnancy, especially when trying to sleep. Research recommends that it safer to sleep on your side in pregnancy, particularly from 28 weeks as your bump becomes heavier. Using pillows to support your back and knees can help.

What food should I avoid?

When you are pregnant it is best to avoid raw and unpasteurised meats, fish and cheese. Cooked meats and fish are safe to eat, as well as most sushi. You should avoid liver and liver products such as pate as it contains high levels of Vitamin A.there is lots of information about what to avoid on the website.

Can I drink caffeine and alcohol in pregnancy?

It is not recommended to drink any alcohol in pregnancy. Small amounts of caffeine are not harmful however; high levels of caffeine can cause problems with the growth of the baby in pregnancy. To cut down on caffeine, try decaffeinated tea and coffee,fruit juice or mineral water instead of regular tea, coffee, cola and energy drinks.

Is it safe to have sex in pregnancy?

Sex is usually safe in pregnancy. Your sex drive may change and this is normal. Sex can sometimes cause mild contractions and light bleeding afterwards, if this is the case you should call you midwife for advice. You should avoid sex if you have a low lying placenta or your waters have broken, as this can increase the risk of infection. Speak to your midwife if you have concerns.

Who do I call if I need to change my appointments?

You can speak directly to the GP surgery where you have your appointments. Alternatively you can contact the Maternity Liaison Office 01892 633488/638158.

I need my MATB1 form to claim my maternity pay through my employer, where do I get it?

The MATB1 form can be accessed through your midwife. You will not receive the form until 20 completed weeks of pregnancy. Please visit Maternity pay and leave: Overview – GOV.UK ( for more information.

I have been in contact with chicken pox, what should I do?

If you have had a previous chicken pox infection as a child or adult, you should have a natural immunity. However, if you are concerned, you can visit your GP who can take a blood test to confirm this.

I have been in contact with a child who has been confirmed to have slap cheek/hand foot and mouth, what should I do?

You should call your GP and get advice from a doctor. Alternatively you can call our screening team or your community midwife.

Is it safe to travel in pregnancy?

If you are planning a trip abroad during your pregnancy it is advisable to contact your holiday provider or airline to ensure they have no travel restrictions, especially towards the later stages of pregnancy. It is advisable to wear flight socks, keep mobile and well hydrated if you are flying. Midwives do not routinely issue ‘Fit to Fly’letters, please contact your GP for this.