The women’s health physiotherapy outpatient team includes three experienced senior physiotherapists who have undertaken specialist post-graduate training.
We offer Women’s Health Physiotherapy at both Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells hospitals.
Conditions we treat include:
- urinary incontinence:
- urinary incontinence
- stress urinary incontinence
- urge incontinence
- mixed incontinence
- pelvic organ prolapse
- perineal trauma following childbirth (urinary and bowel symptoms)
- pelvic floor dysfunction associated with dyspareunia, vulvodynia and vaginissimus
- chronic pelvic pain management
- antenatal and postnatal musculoskeletal problems
We work closely with consultants and are experienced in managing complex problems.
All patients are treated holistically to improve quality of life. Our physiotherapist’s receive support by the Trust to continue their learning of current evidence-based best practice in this speciality
Pelvic floor rehabilitation
Specialist assessment may involve a digital examination to enable an objective pelvic floor exercise regime to be prescribed for you. When appropriate, pelvic floor stimulation, biofeedback, defecation dynamics and bladder training may be also recommended.
We work closely with a consultant gynaecologist in a one-stop urodynamic clinic.
We follow NICE guidelines by giving you access to a consultant and physiotherapist at the same time.
Antenatal and postnatal musculoskeletal service
The musculoskeletal service offers one to one assessment and treatment for the following conditions:
- pregnancy related pelvic girdle pain (PGP)
- lumbar and thoracic pain
- diastatis recti abdominus (DRA)
- pregnancy related carpal tunnel symptoms
In addition to individual assessment, we offer a specialist information and advice class for incontinence. The class is held in the outpatient physiotherapy department at Tunbridge Wells Hospital. Patients are offered access to this class as their first line of treatment but individual assessments are also available if preferred.
Appointments are available between 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday to Friday at both Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Hospitals.
For further information about our women’s health physiotherapy, please contact our physiotherapy team:
- Maidstone Hospital, please phone: 01622 224300
- Tunbridge Wells Hospital, please phone: 01892 632902