Our Breast Care units are based at both Maidstone (the Peggy Wood Breast Care Centre) and Tunbridge Wells Hospitals. Our breast care teams care for patients with all forms of breast cancer and benign breast problems.
The philosophy of care within the unit is to combine a cohesive professional team approach to treatment with a personalised service aimed at involving and supporting patients in decision-making.
The units offer a range of specialist services including:
- one-stop clinics led by specialist breast clinicians, which aim to diagnose and treat patients within two weeks of referral
- a multidisciplinary team approach to care, with weekly team meetings and key workers allocated to all newly diagnosed cancer patients
- image-guided biopsy, digital mammography and breast ultrasound on both sites
- access to breast MRI, PET scans and stereotactic prone biopsy
- where necessary, access to immediate or delayed breast reconstruction either within the Maidstone unit or in conjunction with surgeons from the Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead
- joint clinics with specialist breast oncologists from the Kent Cancer Centre, ensuring rapid access to chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- access to Breast Care Nurse Specialist support from the time of diagnosis
- a full range of diagnostic services including comprehensive pathology and tumour immunohistochemistry (ER, PR, HER2, E-Cadherin etc), CT & MR scanners, isotope bone scanning and bone density DEXA scanning
- family history clinics
- nurse-led breast pain clinic
A wide range of support services is also available, including:
- Breast cancer support groups including groups for younger women and patients with secondary breast cancer
- Counselling service at the Kent Oncology Centre
- Specialist lymphoedema treatment clinics
- Access to volunteer peer support
- Look Good, Feel Better programme (at the Kent Cancer Centre)
- A wide range of patient information and resources
- Access to palliative care support and hospice care, where necessary
Appointments for NHS Breast Screening
Breast Screening is by appointment only
We CANNOT make appointments on the screening van
IF YOU ARE BETWEEN 50 AND 70
You will receive a letter asking you to contact us by phone or email to make an appointment. The easiest way to contact us is by email email@example.com
Please do not contact us until you receive this letter.
If phoning, please only leave one message on our answer machine.
Multiple messages from the same client clog up our inbox and means that you are more likely to have to wait for a response.
IF YOU ARE OVER 70
Please phone for an appointment on 01622 710185
Important information about Coronavirus – Breast screening programme: