Our Breast Care units are based at Maidstone Hospital (the Peggy Wood Breast Care Centre, Brown Zone) and at Tunbridge Wells Hospital (Outpatients, Zone 2).
The units offer a range of specialist services including:
- One-stop clinics led by specialist breast clinicians, which aim to diagnose and treat patients within two weeks of GP referral
- A multidisciplinary team approach to care, with weekly team meetings and key workers allocated to all newly-diagnosed cancer patients
- Image-guided biopsy, digital mammography and breast ultrasound on both sites
- Access to breast MRI, PET scans and stereotactic upright and prone biopsy
- Where necessary, access to immediate or delayed breast reconstruction either at Maidstone Hospital or in conjunction with surgeons from the Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead
- Joint clinics with specialist breast oncologists from the Kent Oncology Centre, ensuring rapid access to chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- Access to Breast Care Nurse Specialist support from the time of diagnosis
- A full range of diagnostic services including comprehensive pathology and tumour immunohistochemistry (ER, PR, HER2, E-Cadherin etc), CT and MR scanners, isotope bone scanning and bone density DEXA scanning
- Family history clinics
- Nurse-led breast pain clinic
- West Kent NHS Breast Screening Programme
A wide range of support services is also available, including:
- Breast cancer support groups including groups for younger women and patients with secondary breast cancer
- Counselling service at the Kent Oncology Centre
- Specialist lymphoedema treatment clinics
- Access to volunteer peer support
- Look Good, Feel Better programme (at the Kent Oncology Centre)
- Patient information and resources
- Access to palliative care support and hospice care, where necessary.
Information for men
Information for transgender/non-binary people
Maidstone offers a pathway for transgender/non-binary people eligible for a screening mammogram but not invited. The number to call for this service is: 01622 225760 or 01622 225761
NHS Breast Screening Programme
We have a dedicated breast screening service which is part of Kent’s NHS Breast Screening Programme. The service screens in the Peggy Wood Breast Unit at Maidstone Hospital and on two mobile breast screening vans that travel to locations in West Kent:
- Tunbridge Wells
Breast Screening programme appointments
If you are between 50 70
You will receive a letter asking you to contact us by phone or email to make an appointment. The easiest way to contact us is by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not contact us until you receive this letter.
If phoning, please only leave one message on our answer machine.
If you are over 70
Please phone for an appointment on 01622 710185
For Very High-Risk referrals, email email@example.com
Information for people with learning disabilities
Images of our service
Staff you will meet