Our aim is to guide and support bereaved families through what is a very distressing and emotional time, offering advice and information to help ease them through the processes following a death.
The Bereavement Office will:
- Co-ordinate the completion of the death certificate and relevant paperwork
- Keep relatives informed throughout proceedings
- Arrange a meeting with relatives to hand over the death certificate, any useful information, offer support and, most importantly, a listening ear
- Look after the deceased patients property and hand this back to the relatives
- Arrange viewings of the deceased
- Liaise with any outside agencies as appropriate – Coroner and Coroner’s Officers, Funeral Directors, Registry Office, Crematoria, GP’s etc
Download our practical guides following a bereavement:
- Following a bereavement: a practical guide for family and friends Maidstone Hospital
- Following a bereavement: a practical guide for family and friends Tunbridge Wells Hospital
You can contact and find us at:
- Maidstone Hospital – located on the ground floor, in the green zone. Open 10am – 4pm, Monday to Friday. Contact 01622 224251
- Tunbridge Wells Hospital – located on the ground floor, just off main reception. Open 10am – 4pm, Monday to Friday. Contact 01892 632923
Free tribute service for bereaved relatives
MuchLoved is a charity web site where you can create a free personal tribute to your loved one, find support and grief resources, create a fundraising tribute and post a funeral details notice etc. if you wish to.
Privacy is protected and you can have just family and friends who are able to access, or, make it an open tribute . MuchLoved offers a varied selection of tribute styles to suit all families
Advice and information
When a death occurs on a ward, all relatives will be given a Trust booklet entitled ‘Following a Bereavement’. This booklet is an easy guide to what happens next and who you have to contact for information regarding deceased loved ones. Call the Bereavement Office after 10am on the next working day following the death and they will be able to assist you.
Registering a death
A death has to be registered with the Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths and this has to be within five working days. Once you have the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death, please make an appointment by phoning the Registry Office on 03000 41 51 51 or you can make an appointment by visiting www.kent.gov.uk (Please have the completed certificate before an appointment is made).
Download registering a death for additional information
Sometimes a death is referred to the Coroner for a post mortem, delaying the essential paperwork. This occurrence will be advised either by the doctor on the ward, or the Bereavement Officer when contacted, who will be able to give further information.
Download deaths referred to the coroner’s office for additional information.
As we live in a society of diverse ethnicity, we make every effort to respect the religious and cultural wishes of all families and we work very closely with the Chaplaincy Team within the Trust who can provide appropriate spiritual and pastoral care.
Viewings within office hours can be arranged by contacting the Viewing Suite/Mortuary on Maidstone Hospital 01622 224457 or Tunbridge Wells Hospital on 01892 635946. Out of office hours/weekends, please contact the ward concerned who will liaise with the site practitioner to arrange an appointment and then they will call back to confirm a time.