The Health Physics and Imaging group is made up of 5 Medical Physicists and 1 Clinical Technologist specialising in radiation safety and medical imaging. The group works closely with a large number of staff groups within the Trust including radiology, oncology and estates.
The group covers a wide range of specialties to ensure the safety of all patients, visitors and staff who come into contact with sources of ionising radiation (e.g. x-rays, beta rays etc) and non-ionising radiation (e.g ultra violet (UV) radiation and lasers etc).
In addition the group has vast expertise in medical imaging (X-ray, Nuclear Medicine, MRI and Ultrasound), and undertakes radioisotope therapy administration and some other non-imaging studies in nuclear medicine.
Our activities include:
1. Equipment Checks and Quality Assurance Programmes for:
2. Providing RPA and MPE advice for the Trust and many other clients. These include NHS Trusts (Kent Community Health, Medway NHS Foundation Trust and Queen Victoria NHS Foundation Trust), Vets, Educational Establishments and Dentists. Our advice includes local rules, risk assessments, shielding assessments, testing the integrity of shielding etc.
3. Providing LPA advice for the Trust and a wide range of external clients.
4. Providing radioactive waste advice, through our certified RWAs.
5. Organisation of a personal dose monitoring service for all staff likely to be exposed to ionising radiations in the course of their work throughout Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells Trust and other Trusts as necessary.
6. Provision of training courses - We offer many training courses e.g Radiation Safety Sessions, IR(ME)R Theoretical training for practitioners and operators, or training for nurses who are required to request X-rays. We offer bespoke courses tailored to your requirements - contact us for details.